Chevrolet Cruze Repair Manual: Waterleak Test Preparation
- GM vehicles are designed to operate under normal environmental
- The design criteria for sealing materials and components takes into
consideration the sealing forces required to withstand the natural
elements. These specifications cannot take into consideration any artificial
conditions, i.e., high pressure car washes.
- The water leak test procedure has been correlated to the natural
elements and will determine the ability of a vehicle to perform
under normal operating conditions.
- The first step in diagnosing a leak is determining the conditions under
which a leak occurs. If the general leak area can be found, the
exact entry point can be isolated using a water hose or an air hose. Some
trim panels or components may need to be removed in
order to repair the leak.
- If leaks are found around a door, door window, rear compartment lid or
liftgate area this does not necessarily indicate a bad
weatherstrip. An adjustment to these areas may resolve the condition.
Watertest Stand Assembly
- Pipe (0.5 x 36 in)
- Reducing Tee, Right Stand Only (0.5 x 0.5 x 0.25 in)
- Coupling, Left Stand Only, (0.5 in)
- Tee, Left Stand Only (0.5 in)
- Cross, Right Stand Only (0.5 in)
- Pipe to Hose Nipple, Right Stand Only (0.5 in)
- Female Hose Coupling (5/8 in)
- Input Hose, Right Stand Only (2.0 ft) (5/8 in diameter)
- Close Nipple (0.5 in)
- Cross (0.5 in) with Weld-On Cap (0.5 in)
- Nipple (0.5 x 12 in)
- Cap (0.5 in)
- Female Hose Coupling (5/8 in)
- Cross Hose (12 ft) (5/8 in diameter)
- Hose Quick Connect
- Pipe to Hose Nipple (0.5 in)
- Pipe (0.5 x 60 in)
- Water Pressure Gauge. Right Stand Only
- Full Jet Spray Nozzle, No. 1/2GG-25 or Equivalent
- Coupling (0.5 in)
- Assemble the water test stand as shown.
- Position the stands as shown.
The water spray from the stands should overlap the vehicle as shown.
- Have an assistant inside of the vehicle during the test in order to
locate any leaks.
- The water pressure at the nozzle should maintain a 155 kPa (22 psi), for
at least 4 minutes.
- In order to check the windshield, aim the water spray 30 degrees down
and 45 degrees toward the rear.
Aim the water towards the corner of the windshield.
- In order to check the side windows for leaks, position the water stand
towards the center of the rear quarter, aiming the water spray
30 degrees down and 45 degrees toward the rear.
- In order to check the back window, aim the water spray 30 degrees down
and 30 degrees toward the front.
Note: Use a water hose without the nozzle attached.
Have an assistant inside of the vehicle i 1. n order to locate the leak.
Begin testing at the base of the window or the windshield.
Definition of Danger, Warning, Caution, and Note
The diagnosis and repair procedures in a GM Service Manual contain both
general and specific Dangers, Warnings, Cautions, Notes or
Importants. GM is dedicated to the presentation of service information that
helps the technician to diagnose and repair the systems
necessary for the proper operat ...
This section includes basic information about the map database.
The data is stored in the internal flash memory that is used in the navigation
Road network attributes are contained in the map database for detailed areas.
Attributes include information such as street nam ...
Remove rear end upper panel extension (1) from service part.
Cut the body side inner panel in corresponding locations to fit the
remaining original panel. The sectioning joint should be trimmed to
allow a gap of one-and-one-half-times the metal thickness at the sectioning