Chevrolet Cruze Repair Manual: Visual Aiming Preparation Procedure
Important: Some state and local laws specify requirements for
headlamp aim. Comply with all of these laws when performing any
headlamp aiming operations.
Headlamp aim should be checked:
- When a new headlamp capsule is installed.
- If service or repairs to the front end area have, or may have, disturbed
the headlamps or their mounting.
The aiming screen should meet the following criteria:
- The area will consist of a level surface large enough to allow for a
vehicle and an additional 7.62 m (25 ft) measured from face of
lamps to the front of the aiming screen.
- The screen will be 1.52 m (5 ft) high x 3.66 m (12 ft) wide with a matte
white surface well shaded from extraneous light, and
properly adjusted to the floor on which the vehicle stands. Provisions
should be made to align the aiming screen parallel with the
- The screen shall be provided with a fixed vertical centerline, two
laterally adjustable vertical tapes, and one vertically adjustable
- If a regular commercial aiming screen is not available, the screen may
consist of a vertical wall having a clear uninterrupted area
approximately 1.83 m (6 ft) high and 3.66 m (12 ft) wide. The surface should
be finished with a washable non-gloss white paint.
- After the aiming screen has been set up in a permanent location, paint a
reference line on the floor directly under the lens of the
lamps to indicate the proper location of the headlamps when they are being
- Distance between headlamps (1)
- Center line of screen (2)
- Adjustable vertical pointer (3)
- Adjustable horizontal tape (4)
- Diagram of light screen (5)
- Vertical center line ahead of right headlamp pointer position (6)
- 7.62 m (25 ft) (7)
- Car axis (8)
- Adjustable vertical pointer
- Horizontal center line of lamps
- Vertical center line ahead of left headlamp
Prior to aiming the headlamps, the following steps must be taken:
- Remove any snow, ice or mud from the
- The vehicle must have a full tank of gas.
- Stop all other work on the vehicle.
- If any service has been performed on the vehicle, make sure that all of
the components are back in their original place.
- The vehicle must be on a level surface.
- The vehicle left tires must be aligned with the reference line extending
from the screen with the headlamps aligned with the
- Do not load any cargo in the vehicle.
- The vehicle must contain approximately 75 kg (165 lb) on the driver
- Inflate the tires to the proper pressure
- Simulate the vehicle loads if the intended use of the vehicle is for
hauling heavy loads or towing a trailer.
- Rock the vehicle in order to stabilize the suspension.
- Turn on the headlamps to low beam and observe the left and the top edges
of the high intensity zone on the screen. The edges of the
high intensity zone should fall within the specifications.
Open the hood.
Measure from the floor to the center of the headlamp bulb. Some
headlamps have an aim dot marked on the headlamp lens.
At the screen, measure from the floor and place the h ...
If the vehicle has a navigation system, there is a separate navigation manual
that includes information on the radio, audio players, and navigation system.
The navigation system provides detailed maps of most major freeways and roads.
After a destination has been set, the system provides turn-b ...
Body Side Trim Panel Replacement - Left Side
Remove the rear side door sill trim plate. Refer to Rear Side Door Sill
Trim Plate Replacement.
Remove the rear seat back. Refer to Rear Seat Replacement.
Remove the quarter window garnish molding. Refer to Quarter Window
Garnish Molding Replacement.
Driving on Snow or Ice
Drive carefully when there is snow or ice between the tires and the road, creating
less traction or grip.
Wet ice can occur at about 0°C (32°F) when freezing rain begins to fall, resulting
in even less traction.
Avoid driving on wet ice or in freezing rain until roads c ...