Chevrolet Cruze Repair Manual: Overlap/Backing Plate Sectioning (Welding)
Warning: Refer to Approved Equipment for Collision Repair Warning in
the Preface section.
- Fit the service panel to the vehicle to ensure a proper fit.
- Measure and mark a line at the sail panel 120 mm (4 3/4 in) from the
back glass opening and 70 mm (2 3/4 in) rearward from the
rocker panel locating hole edge of the service panel.
- Cut along the line to trim the service panel.
- Fabricate a 50 mm (2 in) backer plate so that the panel will fit behind
the sectioning joint at the sail panel.
- Fabricate a 100 mm (4 in) backer plate for the rocker panel.
- Drill 8 mm (5/16 in) plug weld holes as necessary in the locations noted
from the original panel.
- Bevel the sail panel and service panel edges at the sectioned area to
approximately 10 degrees.
- Grind a 50 mm (2 in) area of the outer surface on the vehicle to remove
any corrosion, E-coat, primers, coatings and galvanizing
that may be present.
- At the section area on the service panel, grind a 50 mm (2 in) area of
the back side to remove any corrosion, E-coat, primers,
coatings and galvanizing that may be present.
- Drill plug weld holes approximately 13 mm (1/2 in) from the edge of the
cuts the sectioning areas of the service panel and the
- Prepare all mating surfaces as necessary.
- Apply GM-approved weld-thru coating or equivalent to all mating
surfaces. Refer to Anti-Corrosion Treatment and Repair.
- Position and clamp or screw the backer plate with half of the backer
plate exposed at the sectioning joint.
Note: Leave a gap of 1 1/2 times the thickness of the metal at the
sectioning joint to the original panel.
- Position the service panel to overlap the backer plate and 1 1/2 times
the thickness up to the original panel.
- Check for proper fit and alignment to the vehicle. Clamp the panels
- Plug weld the backer plate accordingly.
- Stitch weld along the entire sectioning joint, make 25 mm (1 in) welds
along the seam with 25 mm (1 in) gaps between them.
- Complete the stitch weld.
- Clean and prepare all welded surfaces of the entire sectioning joint.
Note: Always follow the system manufacturer's instructions for
application, handling, and curing.
- Apply a lightweight body filler to the backer plate area.
Point-to-point measurements are for reference only. All measurements are
given in millimeters. Use these measurements for diagnosing
and estimating. Point-to-point measurements ...
Warning: Refer to Approved Equipment for Collision Repair Warning in the
Warning: Refer to Glass and Sheet Metal Handling Warning in the Preface section.
Rear Compartment Lid Emblem/Nameplate Replacement (VCDi AT)
Rear Compartment Lid Emblem Assembly
Caution: Refer to Exterior Trim Emblem Removal Caution in the
The part and surface should be 21°C (70°F) prior to installation. The
vehicle should remain 21°C (70°F) for
one hour after assembly to allow adhesive to deve ...
This vehicle may have the new environmentally friendly refrigerant, R1234yf.
This refrigerant has a significantly reduced global warming impact on the environment,
compared to the traditional automotive refrigerant, R-134a. All vehicles have a
label underhood that identifies the refrigerant us ...
Deployment Outside Vehicle for Seat Belt Pretensioners
Deploy the seat belt pretensioners outside of the vehicle when the vehicle
will be returned to service. Situations that require deployment
outside of the vehicle include the following:
Using the SIR diagnostics, you determine that the seat belt pretensioner
The pretens ...