Chevrolet Cruze Repair Manual: Deployment Outside Vehicle for Seat Belt Pretensioners
Deploy the seat belt pretensioners outside of the vehicle when the vehicle
will be returned to service. Situations that require deployment
outside of the vehicle include the following:
- Using the SIR diagnostics, you determine that the seat belt pretensioner
- The pretensioner pigtail (if equipped) is damaged.
- The pretensioner connector is damaged.
- The pretensioner connector terminal is damaged.
Deployment and disposal of a malfunctioning seat belt pretensioner is subject
to any required retention period.
Warning: In order to prevent accidental deployment of the pretensioner
which could cause personal injury, do not dispose of an
undeployed pretensioner as normal shop waste. The undeployed pretensioner
contains substances that could cause severe illness or
personal injury if the sealed container is damaged during disposal. Use the
following deployment procedures to safely dispose of an
undeployed pretensioner. Failure to dispose of a pretensioner as instructed may
be a violation of federal, state, or local laws.
Warning: When you are deploying a pretensioner for disposal, perform the
deployment procedures in the order listed. Failure to follow the
procedures in the order listed may result in personal injury.
- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
- Remove the seat belt pretensioner from the vehicle.
- When carrying a pretensioner to the deployment area keep the open end of
pretensioner pointed away from the body.
- Clear a space on the ground about 1.85 M (6 ft) in diameter for
deployment of the pretensioner. If possible, use a paved, outdoor
location free of activity. Otherwise, use a space free of activity on the
shop floor. Make sure you have sufficient ventilation.
- Make sure no loose or flammable objects are in the area.
- Place the EL-39401-B fixture in the center of the cleared area.
- Fill the fixture plastic reservoir with water or sand.
- Mount the module (1) in the SIR deployment fixture (3) with the open end
facing up using the following mounting method.
- Adjust and secure the EL-39401-B fixture arms (4) to the deployment
- To mount, use the proper size bolt (2) and nut (5) with washers in order
to secure the pretensioner (1) to the deployment fixture
- Securely tighten all fasteners prior to deployment
- Inspect the EL-38826 harness and the appropriate pigtail adapter for
damage. Replace as needed.
- Short the 2 SIR deployment harness (1) leads together using one banana
plug seated into the other.
- Connect the appropriate pigtail adapter (2) to the SIR deployment
- Extend the SIR deployment harness and adapter to full length from
the deployment fixture.
- Connect the pretensioner (1) to the adapter (2) on the deployment
Note: The rapid gas expansion involved with deploying a
pretensioner is very loud. Notify all the people in the immediate area that
you intend to deploy the seat belt pretensioner.
- Clear the area of people.
Warning: When you are deploying a pretensioner for disposal, perform
the deployment procedures in the order listed. Failure to
follow the procedures in the order listed may result in personal injury.
- Separate the 2 banana plugs on the SIR deployment harness.
Note: When the seat belt pretensioner deploys, the deployment
fixture may jump about 30 cm (1 ft) vertically. This is a normal
reaction of the seat belt pretensioner due to the force of the rapid expansion
of gas inside the pretensioner.
- Place a 12V minimum/2A minimum power source (i.e., vehicle battery) near
the shorted end of the harness.
- Connect the SIR deployment harness wires to the power source.
Pretensioner deployment will occur when contact is made.
- Disconnect the SIR deployment harness from the power source after the
- Seat one banana plug into the other in order to short the deployment
- If the pretensioner did not deploy, disconnect the adapter and
discontinue the procedure. Contact the Technical Assistance Group.
Otherwise, proceed to the following steps.
- Put on a pair of shop gloves.
- Disconnect the pigtail adapter from the pretensioner as soon as
- Inspect the pigtail adapter and the SIR deployment harness. Replace as
- Dispose of the deployed pretensioner through normal refuse channels.
- Wash hands with a mild soap.
During the course of a vehicle's useful life, certain situations may arise
which will necessitate the disposal of a live (undeployed)
pretensioner. The following information covers the proper proce ...
SIR System Overview
The supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system supplements the protection
offered by the occupants Seat Belt System (2). The SIR
system may contain several inflator mod ...
Replacing LATCH System Parts After a Crash
A crash can damage the LATCH system in the vehicle. A damaged LATCH system
may not properly secure the child restraint, resulting in serious injury or even
death in a crash. To help make sure the LATCH system is working properly after a
crash, see your dealer to have the system inspec ...
The infotainment system is operated by using the pushbuttons, multifunction knobs,
menus shown on the display, and steering wheel controls, if equipped.
Turning the System On or Off
(Volume/Power): Press to turn the
system on and off.
If the infotainment syste ...
Aluminum Wheel Porosity Repair
Remove the tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal
Inflate the tire to the manufactures specified pressure as stated on the
Submerge the tire/wheel into a water bath in order to locate the leak.
Inscribe a mark on the wheel in order to indic ...